Time Tracking Apps Guide
Hubstaff has an wide range of available time tracking apps. To get started tracking your time with Hubstaff, you will need to download a time tracking client.
We offer multiple apps across various operating systems and devices, catering to your organization’s unique setup. Prefer Mac over Windows? No problem! Or, if you’re not keen on installing any software or apps, check out our Web Timer where you can track time directly from your browser.
- Hubstaff App Comparison
- Desktop Apps
- Chrome Extension & Chromebook App
- Mobile Apps
- Web Timer
Hubstaff App Comparison
Each of our time tracking apps carries a different set of time tracking features. For example, some features may be supported in the desktop app (i.e. screenshots) while not in the mobile app. Below is a table that illustrates which features are available for each app:
|App||Time Tracking||Screenshots||Input Tracking||Apps||URLs||Embedded timer (Integrations)||Locations|
|Desktop apps (Windows, OSX, Linux)||●||●||●||●||●|
App/URL tracking is only supported in OSX 10.7 or later.
Available on Windows, Mac & Linux
Hubstaff’s desktop tracker offers our full suite of features.
Before tracking time, users will be required to allow Hubstaff to record data.
These features are enabled and can only be changed by organization owners/managers. Please contact your organization owner/manager in case you wish to disable a tracking feature.
Desktop App Features
Learn each section of the desktop app to maximize its features.
- App menu – provides various options such as signing out of the app and configuring preferences.
- Timer – displays the time tracked in hh:mm:ss format.
- Current project/task name – the names of the project/task the user is currently tracking time to.
- Play button
- Limits – when set, shows the running time against the limit set for the user.
- Time tracked today
- Project search bar – allows you to search across projects.
- Project list – lists down all projects assigned to a user.
- Refresh button – clicking this button forces the app to sync to our servers. By design the app refreshes automatically every 10 minutes.
- View toggle – can be set to compact or normal view.
- Expand/contract toggle – show or hide the tasks pane
- Task lists – when integrated with Hubstaff Tasks, shows the list name.
- Task status filter – when integrated with Hubstaff Tasks, shows the current status of the task.
- Show completed button – shows tasks that are marked as complete.
- Tasks search button – allows you to search across tasks.
- Task creation button – lets you create new tasks in-app.
- Tasks – a list of currently assigned tasks. Tasks integrated with a third party app (or Hubstaff Tasks) can also be marked as complete within the app.
Time Tracking on Desktop Apps
Now you can begin tracking time. Follow the steps below to get started:
To begin tracking time, click on the play button next to either a project name, or a task name (if assigned).
The timer will start running on the main window.
Once tracking starts, a live ticker will count the seconds, minutes, and hours you have worked in real-time.
While tracking time, and if a work break policy is set for your organization, you can click on the cup icon when taking breaks. Click on the same button to stop tracking break time.
Add work notes while tracking time by clicking the Add note button.
Chrome Extension & Chromebook App
Available on the Chrome browser & Google Chrome OS
Hubstaff’s Chrome extension & Chromebook App is a quick-install option, as a result, allowing you and your team to get set-up and tracking as quickly as possible.
Firstly, select the project1 and/or to-dos2 you wish to track time against, then click the Start timer button to begin tracking time.
Once time tracking begins, the live ticker will count the seconds, minutes, and hours you have worked in real-time. While tracking time, you can also click the Add note button to add work notes.
Finally, click the Stop timer button to stop tracking time.
Two links are available at the top right-hand side of your tracker. Clicking on Work log launches a new browser window, which then displays your timesheets within the web app1. The Settings button will redirect you to the Settings page, allowing you to customize features within your tracking client 2.
The refresh icon force syncs your data with our servers, allowing your timesheets to be updated immediately. The “last updated at:” status on the toolbar shows you what time the app last synced to our servers.
Hubstaff’s mobile app is available on both Android and iPhone. As well as tracking time, our mobile app can also log GPS locations.
A list of the projects you can track time against is displayed when the app is opened.
To access assigned tasks, simply click on the arrow to reveal the tasks pane for each project.
After selecting a task, click the play button next to a task (or project) name to begin tracking time.
Once tracking begins, a live ticker will count the seconds, minutes, and hours you have worked in real-time.
Mobile App features run-down
- Mobile app menu – the menu lets you navigate through each section and settings of the mobile app.
- Work break button – the work break button allows you to take breaks and then add them to their timesheets while tracking time. This is only enabled when your organization has set work break policies and added you as a member.
- If you wish to add a note to your timesheets, you can do so by clicking the Add Note button1 which will then be posted on the site.
- If your employer has set a weekly tracking limit for you, it will be shown on the client2. Users will always know how much time they have left to track within the week, however, when you do reach your limit, a notification will appear, letting you know that no more time can be tracked.
- Displays the total running time on the client3.
Mobile Menu Options
Access the mobile menu to reveal features such as reporting, scheduling, and team activities. Having mobile access to these features makes it easy to manage data for users and owners who are on the move.
The web timer lets you and your team track time without having to install apps on your computer/mobile devices, as a result, lets you track anywhere.
Simply navigate to your web Dashboard, and click on the timer icon to open the tracker to begin tracking time.
Projects (1) and tasks (2) you’re assigned to will appear as shown below.
Select a project and/or task name, and then press the Play button to begin tracking time.
If your employer has set a weekly tracking limit for you, it will eventually be shown on the client (1). As a result, users will always know how much time they have left to track within the week. If you do reach your weekly limit, a notification will appear, letting you know that no more time can be tracked.
A running total of time tracked per day will then be shown on the client as below (2).
Please note all monitoring features are not available on all trackers. For a compatible features list, please see our guide here.