This video is divided into chapters, to skip directly to the Time Tracking Apps section, please click here
To get started tracking your time with Hubstaff, you will need to download one of our software client applications.
Hubstaff offers various apps across operating systems and devices, catering to your organization’s setup. If you’re planning or are unable to install any software or apps on your machine, check out our Web Timer where you can track time directly from your browser.
Each one of our time tracking apps carries a different set of time tracking features. For example, some features may be supported in the desktop app (i.e. screenshots) while not in the mobile app. Below is a table which illustrates which features are available for each app:
|App||Time Tracking||Screenshots||Input Tracking||Apps and URL Recording||Embedded Timer (Integrations)||Task Creation||Location Tracking||Notifications|
|Desktop Apps (Windows/Mac/Linux)||Y||Y *||Y *||Y||N||Y||N||Screenshots/Reminders (when enabled)|
|Chromebook App||Y||Y (Needs permission)||Y *||N||N||N||N||Start/Stop|
|Mobile App||Y||N||N||N||N||N||Y||Job Sites (when enabled)|
IMPORTANT: None of these features are active unless time is being tracked. Members have control over when their timer is turned on and off.
Exceptions: Fleet tracking allows for locations to be sent to our servers, but are only stored when the timer is active. Timers are turned on and off passively as well when members enter a “Job site” that has “Start timer” and “Stop timer” turned on for entries and exits to the geofence.
App/Url tracking is only supported in OSX 10.7 or later.
The Wayland desktop manager in Linux does not support screenshots or accurate activity tracking due to the limitations of the operating system. The only activity available for tracking is activity directly related to X Windows programs connecting to Wayland via XWayland. For more information about screenshot capture in Wayland managed desktops, click here.
Available on Windows, Mac & Linux.
Desktop apps are our full-featured apps, where users are able to record time, keyboard/mouse activity, screenshots, apps, and URLs. For help in installing the client on your machine, click on the links below:
Hubstaff’s desktop tracker offers our full suite of features:
- Play button – starts tracking time (when pressed without selecting a project/task will record on the last project selected). Members are in control of when time is being tracked and activity data being gathered.
- Timer – will run as soon as any play buttons are pressed. Resets every midnight based on the user’s local timezone.
- Add Note button – users can add work notes while tracking time.
- Current status –
- Active Project/Task – shows which project/to-do is currently being tracked.
- Weekly Limits – this shows how much of your weekly limit has been consumed.
- Total worked time – shows the total time tracked for the day.
- Project search bar – type in a project name to search for projects easily.
- Organization name
- Project name – track time directly to projects when the play button is pressed.
- Refresh button and status – shows the date and time the app last updated data from the server. Pressing the refresh button will force tasks and activities to sync.
- Compact mode – switches the app to a smaller size.
- Toggle task list – shows/hides the tasks pane.
- Settings menu – shows available settings such as show/hide timer, error reporting, sign out, quit, and app preferences.
- To-dos filter – filters tasks and task lists.
- Show completed – place a checkmark to include completed to-dos on the tasks pane.
- Search tasks – type the task name to find to-dos easily.
- Create a task – create tasks/to-dos on the fly. Note: when projects are integrated, this option will not be available.
- To-do – click the play button next to the to-do name to track time to the to-do.
- Complete button – marks the to-do as completed. Once completed time tracking will no longer be available on the task. Note that not all tasks can be marked as completed. To see all the integrations that support completion, click here.
Here are the instructions on how to start tracking time using the desktop timer:
You can track time directly next to the project name, or the to-do/task within that project. Once tracking starts, a live ticker will count the seconds, minutes, and hours you have worked in real-time.
You’ll also receive a notification (when enabled) that the timer has started running.
The app uploads data to the dashboard every ~10 minutes depending on your connection speed.
To stop tracking time, click any of the stop buttons on the main timer, the project name or the to-do name.
If your employer has set a daily or weekly tracking limit for you, it will be shown on the client. You will always know how much time you have left to track within the week. If you do reach your weekly limit, however, a notification will appear, letting you know that no more time can be tracked.
Chrome Extension & Chromebook App
Available on the Chrome browser & Google Chrome OS
Hubstaff’s Chrome extension & Chromebook App is a quick-install option, allowing you and your team to get set-up and tracking as quickly as possible.
The first step is to select the project and/or To-dos you wish to track time against then press the Start timer button to begin tracking time.
Once tracking begins, a live ticker will count the seconds, minutes, and hours you have worked in real-time.
To stop tracking your time, simply select a project and/or task from each menu and click Start.
Two links are available at the top right-hand side of your tracker. Clicking on Work log will launch a new browser window displaying your timesheets within the web app. The Settings button will redirect you to the Settings page, allowing you to customize features within your tracking client.
The refresh icon force syncs your data with our servers, allowing your timesheets to be updated immediately. You can always check the last time your tracking data was synced with our servers, by referring to the “last updated at:” status on the toolbar.
You can also add notes while tracking time by pressing the Add note button.
Available on both Android and iPhone
As well as tracking time, our mobile app can also log GPS locations.
A list of the projects you can track time against is displayed when the app is opened.
To access assigned tasks, simply click on the arrow to reveal the tasks pane for each project.
To begin tracking your time, simply tap the Play button next to the project and/or task name.
Once tracking begins, a live ticker will count the seconds, minutes and hours you have worked in real time.
Mobile App features run-down
- If you wish to add a note to your timesheets, you can do so by clicking the Add Note button.
- If your employer has set a weekly tracking limit for you, it will be shown on the client. You will always know how much time you have left to track within the week. However, if you do reach your limit, a notification will appear, letting you know that no more time can be tracked.
- A running total of the time tracked within each day will be displayed on the client as shown below.
- Our mobile app has a number of web app features available, via the main menu. To access it, simply tap on the menu icon.
Mobile Menu Options
Access the mobile menu to reveal features such as timesheets, scheduling, activities, maps, reports, and error reporting.
Having mobile access to these features is handy for users and owners who are on the move.
You and your team can track time directly from Hubstaff’s dashboard, without needing to install any additional software.
The web timer cannot record screenshots, keyboard and mouse activity, apps, URLs, and locations.
Simply navigate to your Dashboard, and click on the web timer icon next to the Hubstaff logo to open the timer.
Select the project or the task under the project then press the Play button to begin tracking time.
If your employer has set a weekly tracking limit for you, it will be shown on the client (1). You will always know how much time you have left to track within the week. If you do reach your weekly limit, a notification will appear, letting you know that no more time can be tracked.
A running total of time tracked per day will be shown on the client as below (2).
Please note all monitoring features are not available on all trackers. For a compatible features list, please see our guide here.