Learn how to invoice your clients by reading this comprehensive guide.
In order to be able to bill clients for time tracked by your employees, bill rates must be set for each team member in your organization. To add or edit bill rates, please click here.
The client invoicing feature requires Clients to be added to your organization..
Here is a sample invoice sent to a Hubstaff client.
Table of Contents
- Invoicing clients
- Adding organization details for invoices
- Creating a new invoice
- Re-sending an invoice
- Recurring invoices
- Filtering invoices
- Editing an invoice
- Downloading an invoice
- Closing an invoice
- Reopening a closed invoice
- Deleting an invoice
- Sample invoice
- Recording payments (mark as Paid)
- Unmark invoice as Paid
- Sample paid invoice
To get started with client invoices, simply click on the Financials tab on the left sidebar, select Invoices, then click on the Clients tab.
Adding Organization Details for Invoices
First, make sure you are on the Clients tab and then click on Invoice settings.
On this page, you’ll be able to modify your global invoice settings. You can add your organization address, logo, tax ID, tax rate, payment terms, net terms, notes, and your PayPal email (optional). You can also set up automatic/recurring invoicing. Once done you have to click Save.
Creating a New Invoice
Navigate to Financials > Invoices. Click on the Clients tab, then New invoice.
On the invoice header, you can:
- Upload your company logo
- Select the client you plan to bill
- Issue date
- Due date
- Invoice Number
- PO (Purchase Order) number
Then, you can add line items to invoices, using either one of the below methods:
- Manually add each line item, then click the Add item to add another line item, or
- Generate line items automatically. To do this, skip to the next section.
You can also add notes next to each line item’s description.
Generate Automatic Line Items
Hubstaff can calculate line items for you based on your team members’ billing rates and the amount of time they’ve tracked for that period.
On your new invoice, click Generate line items.
The Generate line items dialog box will appear.
- Date Range – specify the start and end date of the line items on the invoice
- Projects – select projects to include on the invoice.
- Members – choose which members’ times are included on the invoice.
- To-do – select which tasks are included on the invoice.
- Line items – choose how the data is presented on the invoice:
- Detailed by project – shows the detailed data per project on the invoice. Available filters are:
- Detailed by to-do – shows the detailed line items based on tasks/to-dos. Available filters are:
- Summary – shows one line item with a summary for the selected filter. Available filters are:
- Include non-billable time – toggle this if you wish to include time from non-billable projects.
- Include expenses – toggle this option to include expenses in the invoice
Press Generate to automatically generate the line items based on the filters selected.
Once all line items have been generated, fill in the remaining information (if you’ve already added these on the invoice settings, they will be pre-filled for you). Then either save the invoice as a draft or save the invoice and send it to the client.
This is what it looks like when the View invoice button is clicked:
To check out how clients pay for invoices via PayPal, click here.
Re-sending an invoice
Click on the invoice you want to resend.
Want to know how to set-up recurring invoices for your clients? Follow the steps below:
Navigate to Project management > Clients.
For new clients, click on Add Client, then navigate to the INVOICING tab. For existing clients, click on Actions > Edit Client then navigate to the INVOICING tab.
Click Custom under the Auto invoicing section to enable recurring invoices, then fill in the following information:
- Amount based on – bill clients based on the hourly bill rates, or a fixed price every automatic interval.
- Frequency – select the intervals the invoice will be sent. Invoices can be sent monthly, weekly, and bi-weekly.
- Delay sending – add a specific delay to your automatic invoices.
- Send reminder to pay after due – this sends an email reminder to clients when an invoice has not been settled after a specific number of days.
- Line items – define the line item format.
- Include non-billable time – this includes all non-billable times logged to projects associated with a client.
You can use a few different filters to view your invoices for just a particular date, organization, or client. First, navigate to Invoices, from the Financials section, then click the Clients tab. After which you can enter the dates on the calendar, select a client, the invoice status, then hit Apply to generate the list of invoices that meet the filters applied.
Editing an Invoice
Click Actions next to the invoice you want to edit and select Edit invoice from the drop-down. After completing the updates you can either Save the invoice as a draft or Save and resend the invoice.
Downloading an Invoice
Click on the invoice you want to download.
Closing an Invoice
Click on the invoice you’d like to close.
Reopening a closed Invoice
Navigate to Invoices within the Financials section then select the date range, client name, and choose the Closed status on the Status drop-down. Click on Apply, and then click on the invoice you want to reopen.
Deleting an Invoice
Open the invoice you’d like to delete.
Click on More actions then select the Delete option.
Here is a sample of what an invoice will look like when you send it to a client.
To check out how clients pay for invoices via PayPal, click here.
Recording Payments (Mark as Paid)
Once a client has paid you, you can record that payment in Hubstaff.
Select the invoice where you wish to record a payment from the list.
Unmark an Invoice as Paid
If you need to remove the Paid mark this can be done as well.
On an invoice that is marked as Paid, check that its status is also Paid and not Closed. If the status is Closed, you have to Reopen it first.
You will see a dialog where you have to press on Delete, confirm the action, and Close.
Sample Invoice (Client View)
Here is a sample invoice of what your clients will see:
When you generate a line for the time that was tracked in Hubstaff and save it as a draft, that time becomes locked. If the time is marked as locked for any other reason (paid, project management tool export, etc.) then it can be added to an invoice as long as that locked time has NOT already been added to another invoice.
When editing an invoice if you want to delete a generated line item, you need to click the trash icon for the generated line item you want to get rid of and then save the invoice for that change to take effect. Likewise, those hours will change back to not locked.
If you make any changes to an invoice and click on the Cancel button right after, then the changes will NOT take effect and the line items (regardless of whether they are manual line items or generated line items) will still be there in the invoice.