Working with schedules in Hubstaff is easy! Read our comprehensive guide to learn more about how the schedules feature works in Hubstaff.
Here’s what Hubstaff Schedules can do:
- Schedule work shifts for your team
- View schedules by the entire team or by individual
- Create one-time or recurring shifts for team members
- Send reminders to team members if they are late
- Notices to the team owners for missed shifts, late shifts and abandoned shifts
Only organization owners and managers are able to create schedules for users on the organization.
Table of contents:
- Getting started with Hubstaff schedules
- Creating a new schedule/shift
- Schedule views
- Deleting Shifts
- Monitoring Schedules
- Notification Control
- Calendar type
- Sync Hubstaff schedules to iCal
Getting started with Hubstaff schedules
To get started, click on the Schedules tab on the left sidebar.
You can navigate to previous or future weeks using the navigation arrows.
By default, all users on your team are shown. You can view the schedule of a single user with the user dropdown on the right or by clicking the user on the left of the schedule.
- The date controls are on the left. Select the week you’d like to view.
- Click the Add schedule button on the right to create a new shift.
Creating a New Schedule / Shift
Click the Add Schedule button to create a new shift for a user. Then fill in the details below:
- Shift Duration
- From Date
- Shift Start time
- Shift End time
- To Date
- Organization timezone
- Member timezone
- Minimum Hours – the minimum hours a user is required to work (for example if their shift runs from 9am to 5pm (8 hours) with a 30 minute lunch break, you can place 7.5 minimum hours.
- Recurring Shift Options
- Repeats Until – the last day the recurring shifts are applied.
- Days – select the days the shifts will repeat.
- Click on Save to save changes.
After creating a schedule, you will see the schedule plotted on the Schedules screen:
You can delete a shift by clicking on the shift you created under Schedules.
After clicking on the shift, you will receive a popup window where you can Delete or Edit the schedule. Click on Delete to remove the schedule.
You’ll then see the option to either delete that specific shift or all the shifts in the series:
Hubstaff’s attendance scheduling is powerful because it allows you to always know when your employees are working during their shifts or not. You no longer have to chase employees down to find if they were working or not. If they use the Hubstaff app to track their time during their scheduled shift, no notifications will be sent and you’ll know they worked when they were supposed to. If they weren’t working when they were scheduled to, you will get notified.
The three types of Schedule notifications that get sent are as follows:
If the user doesn’t start tracking time within the first 5 minutes of when their shift is scheduled to begin, they will be counted as late and a notification will be sent as soon as our the app uploads data to our server.
If the user doesn’t track any time during their shift, the shift is missed and a notification will be sent when the shift ends.
If the user tracks time during their shift but doesn’t meet the minimum hour requirement, the shift will be incomplete and a notification will be sent.
Other notifications that get sent let users know when they are added to a shift and when a shift is updated for them. As the organization owner, you will get summary notifications letting you know of all the late, missed, and abandoned shifts as well (similar to the work summary emails).
You can control the notifications in your organization settings by clicking on the Settings tab on the left sidebar. Then selecting Features from the drop-down menu. Go to the SCHEDULES tab, and you’ll see the Shift Alerts option on the left-hand menu. You can then enable alerts for users and owners/managers, just users, or never. Like the other Hubstaff settings, you can set this at the organization level or at a user by user basis:
You can choose whether users are able to view 1) Only their own schedules/time offs, or 2) The entire team schedule and time off entries. To do this, Navigate to Schedules > Settings > Schedule settings > Calendar type.
Toggling the setting to Private will let users see their personal schedules, and setting it to Collaborative will let users see the team schedules.
Sync Hubstaff schedules to iCal
First, we’ll need to copy the calendar feed URL by navigating to Schedules > Calendar.
Then, click the Add to my calendar button located above your team schedules, then click the Copy button to get the calendar URL.
Syncing Hubstaff schedules on iCal for OSX
- Open the iCal app.
- Navigate to File > New calendar subscription or press Option (⌥) + Command (⌘) + S.
- Enter the iCal feed URL you copied from the schedules page, then hit Subscribe.
Syncing Hubstaff schedules on iCal for iOS
- Open the iCal app.
- Tap the Calendars button.
- Next, click the Add calendar button.
- Choose the Add subscription calendar option.
- Enter the URL you copied from the dashboard calendar, then hit Subscribe.